UPDATE: Connect by Hertz informed us that they’re sweetening the pot by giving $140 credit to the first 40 who participate in the Surrender Your Permit program and giving $100 driving credit to any resident who registers for Corner Cars during the month of October (use code “hoboken”).
The City of Hoboken, in conjunction with car rental and car sharing companies, regional transit agencies, and local businesses, is announcing the “Surrender Your Permit” program (http://hobokennj.org/surrenderyourpermit) to encourage residents to consider alternate modes of transportation. Those who surrender a parking permit at the Hoboken Parking Utility will receive an incentive package valued at more than $500.
“Over the past year, we have been working to tackle Hoboken’s parking and transportation challenges by implementing a comprehensive set of progressive, demand-side alternative transportation solutions including the Hop shuttle system with GPS technology, the first city-wide car-sharing program in the nation, multi-space meters, expanded bicycle facilities, and pedestrian safety improvements," said Mayor Dawn Zimmer. “This program is an integral component of our efforts to provide residents easy and practical options for living car-free in Hoboken. We’re letting residents know that there can be more convenient, less expensive, healthier, and more environmentally friendly alternatives to owning a car in Hoboken, and we’re going to continue to work to provide residents with better options."
Benefits of the Surrender Your Permit program include:
* Corner Cars $100 driving credit plus two years free membership from Hertz Connect: $200 value
* Free Specialized commuter bike helmet (courtesy of Flo On Wheels, 1222 Washington St): $50 value
* Fleet Feet eco-friendly shopping bag, free pair of technical running socks, free timex pedometer to track distance walked/run, steps taken, calories burned & $20 coupon for a pair of shoes (courtesy of Fleet Feet Sports, 604 Washington St): $50 value
* Free 6-month Unlimited Hop shuttle pass: $180 value
* Premium membership discounts provided by Enterprise and Hertz rental car agencies
* Free bike commuter training session, riding safety lights, and reflective straps (courtesy of Hudson County TMA)
* Free Temporary parking permit placard with special endorsement stamp (allows parking on resident side) for rental vehicles
* Free SmartLink card wallet and other PATH gifts (courtesy of Port Authority of NY and NJ)
* "The Hop" community shuttle bus map and schedules
* Hoboken bike lane and bike rack locations map
Other businesses and agencies interested in participating in the program by offering additional rewards may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even before the formal announcement of the Surrender Your Permit program, nine residents have turned in residential parking permits to the Parking Utility since the launch of Corner Cars.
“This is an important incentive to announce now that Corner Cars has been around for a while," said Councilman David Mello, Chairman of the Parking and Transportation Committee. "As people learn about the program and lease terms expire, I'm confident that through this extra incentive we will get the additional 33 permits we need to break even with the 42 parking spaces used by Corner Cars, leaving no doubt that this program represents a clear benefit to our community. That's before we consider all the future residents who don't bring cars to Hoboken and all the existing residents who decide against buying a car, which we may never be able to accurately account for."
More than 500 residents are now members of the Corner Cars program. Connect by Hertz recently announced that they are extending the $5 Tuesdays promotion ($5/hour rental for any vehicle in Hoboken) through the month of October.
Who benefits from Hoboken’s alternative transportation options?
* Senior citizens and others on fixed budgets who choose Corner Cars and the Hop as an alternative to the high costs of car ownership.
* New residents convinced by a realtor to leave their car behind.
* Current residents who commute to work by train/bus and sell their car in order to save thousands of dollars per year.
* Residents on a low income budget who lack the ability to buy a car but get the mobility of a personal vehicle through car-sharing.
* Families who give up a second car now that Corner Cars are available and the Hop can be used to take kids to school locally.
* Students who use Corner Cars to visit family on some weekends.
Residents can learn more about the program at http://hobokennj.org/surrenderyourpermit.