Hoboken Historical Museum’s Annual Spring Gala, A Swingin’ Speakeasy, Promises a Fun Time for a Great Cause
Saturday, March 22, 7 pm, at the Elks Lodge
Flapper-Decorating Contest Under Way Around Town – Tweet Pics of Your Favorites to @HobokenMuseum
Break out your “glad rags” and “get all dolled up” for the Museum’s 2014 annual gala, A Swingin’ Speakeasy, a trip back to the Roaring 20s, on March 22, at the Elks Lodge, 1005 Washington St. The event is a fundraiser for the Museum and for its next exhibit, “Port of Entry to a Continent,” focusing on Hoboken’s role in U.S. immigration during the peak years from 1892 – 1924, opening August 3.
The Speakeasy will be “the bee’s knees,” so “get a wiggle on”…tickets are “selling like hotcakes.” Last year’s Hoboken Hoedown, and the GalaPalooza25 and Masked Ball before that, were sold-out affairs, and are still talked about as Hoboken’s parties of the year. Bring a few “clams” and “simoleans” for the Museum’s signature Annual Great Hoboken Auction, with vacation packages, theater tickets, pool and parking passes and one-of-a-kind experiences like tickets to the Macy’s Parade up for bid.
The Museum’s parties are a nod to history—guests are encouraged to dress up in Jazz Age style and snap a souvenir photo against a Gatsbyesque backdrop. For inspiration, look for the 18 businesses competing in the Flapper Girl Contest, in which life-sized wooden cutouts of flapper girls are being decorated by local businesses (see below for details). Or follow the Museum on social media – Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest – to get “hip to the jive” with vintage photos and 1920s lingo.
Whether guests dress up as “flappers” or “dapper Dans,” or come in contemporary Hoboken style, they should be prepared to “cut a rug,” as a DJ will spin music that spans the decades, and a dance caller will lead a few swing dance lessons. On breaks between dancing, guests can enjoy a delicious buffet by Anthony David’s Catering, scrumptious desserts by Giorgio’s, free-flowing “hooch” at the open bar, and sleight-of-hand illusions by award-winning magician Michael “Six” Muldoon. It’s all included in the $150 ticket, on sale now online at the Museum’s website: hobokenmuseum.org.
Flapper Contest, Cork Draw and Magic!
Be on the lookout around Hoboken for one of 18 life-sized flapper cutouts, which are being “adopted” by local businesses who will spiff them up in a competition for Best-Dressed Flapper. The winning business, to be announced by the Speakeasy committee on March 15, earns a pair of free tickets for the event. Hobokenites are encouraged to tweet pics of their favorites to @HobokenMuseum.
Look for flappers at the following businesses: 16 Handles, 1185 Maxwell Place; AaRaa, 408 6th Street; Ali Baba Restaurant, 912 Washington Street; Amanda’s Restaurant, 908 Washington Street; Big Fun Toys, 602 Washington Street; Cornerstone Pets, 105 Ninth Street; Hoboken Wellness Spa, 450 7th Street, #7a; Hollydae Inc., 1200 Washington Street; Luna Rosa Home, 1218 Washington Street; New Jersey Running Company, 127 Washington Street; Poor Cat Designs, 716 Washington Street; Prime Real Estate Group, 98 Park Street; Right Angle Framing, 1108 Washington Street; Studio Twelve Hair Designers, 534 Garden Street; Swift-Morris Interiors, 1208 Washington Street; Symposia Bookstore, 510 Washington Street; Tresorie, 1204 Washington Street; and Zumba Nation by Alicia, 720 Monroe Street.
Rounding out the evening’s entertainment will be a cork-draw contest—to win one of several outstanding bottles of wine—and sleight-of-hand illusions by renowned magician Michael “Six” Muldoon, plus the Museum’s signature annual live auction.
Signature Auction with Unique Packages
The Museum has assembled another great line-up of experiences to bid on in its signature annual live auction—hosted by inimitable auctioneer Eugene Flinn, owner of Amanda’s, the Elysian Café and newly reopened Schnackenberg’s. See below for highlights; more details will be posted soon to the Museum’s website. Based on past experience, some of these unique packages will inspire heated bidding, and others may be snagged for a bargain – you never know!
- Next Best Thing to Owning a Pool — The whole family will enjoy unlimited summertime access with this family membership to the rooftop Shipyard complex pool. Value: $1,500
- Never Hunt for a Parking Space Again! — This is a perennial favorite at the Great Hoboken Auction: A full year of indoor parking at the 12th Street garage. Value: $3,000
- Private Waterfront Condo in Pompano Beach, FL — The perfect 2-week vacation begins in this 2-bedroom private waterfront condo in Pompano Beach near Ft. Lauderdale. Value: $3,500 (Blackout dates: Dec. 20 - Feb. 28)
- Winter Park Colorado Ski Vacation — This resort town, near the Rocky Mountain National Park, is perfect for hiking, alpine slides and, of course, skiing — as it’s ranked one of the top 10 family ski resorts in the US. This 3-bedroom Colorado condo sleeps 8. Value: $3,000
- A Charming Casita in San Miguel de Allende — Get away from it all and enjoy the charming town of San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. Includes use of a private casita. Value: $1,000
- A Stylish Weekend in Hoboken or New York City — After an exciting day exploring the greatest city in the world, relax with in style at the W Hotel Hoboken or the brand-new Standard East in the heart of the East Village, with breakfast included. Each hotel offers panoramic views of New York, from different angles, and all the latest comforts of hospitality. (These are two separate auction lots) Value: $300 - $450